Saturday, October 30, 2010

A New Breed of Holiday

So it's that one time of the year again. The nights that give an excuse for the ladies to wear as little as possible and guys the excuse to be bros. Yes, I'm talking about Halloween. Unfortunately this year, I have to bartend for the festivities so I will not be celebrating. However, I'm talking this chance to remember my Halloweens past in the Zoo of Amherst (UMass Amherst).
Freshman year... that awkward time where you're still trying to figure college out and how to be cool. Halloween is the second biggest party time for colleges (I think homecoming is first but that's just me) and this would be a freshman's chance to shine. From what I recall that weekend, it was certainly a success for myself and my friends. Our plans for that evening consisted of dressing in ridiculous costumes and traveling to "The Brown House" where we had been making some friends. What was my rediculous costume you ask? Well let's just say I had on some girls shorts and a sweet headband... So anyways, off we went. Much to our surprise, this party was fully prepared to be a rager. DJ booth, metal barrels filled with liquids (you know what I mean), and plenty of people. Good thing we took pictures because this was one of the best nights up in Amherst.
Sophomore year... this was a year to establish a few things; where the party was, who you went out with most of the time, the important things in life. I thought it would be a good idea to expanded the Halloween celebrations to a three day schedule... it made sense at the time. However, three days to party means being creative enough to make three different costumes. I came up with lumberjack, soccer player, and Johnny Appleseed (definitely my best). Night #1, I think everyone went to the same party because I saw almost everyone I knew (well not everyone but) unexpectedly. Lot's of dancing, lots of people, I'm sure you know the rest of the story. Night #2, we made our own party. My friends and I are a pretty lazy group and if we don't feel like going out we made the parties come to us. Fortunate enough, people didn't feel like traveling too far to have a good time. So rager in the rooms. Then came night #3. Let's just say I like long walks on the side of the road. It just started poorly then steadily slid downhill from there. I always manage to make my own fun and tried turing it into the best night possible. But as the night drew to an end, we did eventually have to go home. We forgot this part of the night and didn't quite plan accordingly. And so began the 3 mile walk home... with our friends in high heels... and skimpy outfits... yeah wasn't so fun.
And here we are today. The saturday before Halloween. The night everyone is going bananas. Going to be a bar filled with characters and I will be having a front row seat for all of the ensuing action. I hope your festivities will make your parents proud... or not who really cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment