Thursday, August 4, 2011

The League

As soon as the NFL was unlocked you want to know what the first thought that crossed my mind was? Fantasy Football baby. Now don't get me wrong, I am still fairly new to the game (I've only been playing since '07ish) but when I'm in, I'm all in and want that title as league champion (which I was back to back my first two seasons). This year we decided to change things up a bit with a live draft a month before the first game of the season, have a 12 person league, and some deep rosters. A little risky but it's all we could manage for a time to get everyone together. 

A lot of people don't really understand how in-depth this type of game can get; all the angles to consider. You have to look at team schedules, past performances, projected stats, injury prone players, people coming back from season ending injuries; the list could go on forever. The biggest factor that I have found to consider is time. The lockout has only been over for around 2 weeks and players have been flying all over the map. These trades have crucial impact on individual players. The other time aspect to consider is time between end of lockout and week one. Training camps have taken a huge toll and whats taught to players normally is now crammed into a month's worth of work. Consider this; Donnovan McNabb was traded to the Minnesota Vikings very recently. Something that I would think about that would make a decision to draft him or not could be the timing between the offensive line and him. They have to get used to how a brand new quarterback calls plays, audibles, drops back, and the timing of his release. And they only have a month to do it; ontop of conditioning, individual workouts, and learning a playbook. That's how in depth fantasy football can get. I'm just beginning to realize that the people who are consistently good in multiple fantasy football leagues are pretty smart when it comes to sports. 

So this year I decided I need to really get into the pre-draft research because a live draft takes out a lot of insider resources, a.k.a. the internet and Adam Schefter, and separates the diehards from the wannabes. I've been reading magazines, doing mock drafts, analyzing picks and recognizing patterns, yet I still feel like I am completely hopeless. Why? Because there is a wildcard in every league. The one person that does the completely unexpected and just shits on your draft. Luckily I have a high draft pick so I have some guarantees. 

So I'll provide my readers with a little bit of insite from my brain with some sleepers, busts, top rookies, all that fun stuff. Hopefully it's useful.

NFL MVP: Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings: The addition of McNabb and the loss of Sidney Rice makes A.P. the best option on every down for the Vikings. Expect McNabb to rely heavily on the veteran running back.

Return to Fantasy Prime: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: He has a lot to prove after only playing 6 games last season due to injury. With Cam Newton most likely the future of this franchise, I think Williams will want to add his two cents and help get the team off the ground.

Biggest Bust: Peyton Hillis, RB, Browns: So did anyone know who Peyton Hillis was before last season? I know I didn't. The Browns do not have a strong offense and now that opposing defenses know what he is capable of he will become their primary target.

Top Rookie: Daniel Thomas, RB, Dolphins: Ronnie Brown is gone. Ricky Williams smokes a bunch of weed. That leaves a lot of work for Thomas to do and expect him to carry that load well.

Sleeper 1: Danny Woodhead, RB, Patriots: Woodhead solidified a spot amongst the tandem of Patriots running backs with his breakout season last year. He's small, quick on his feet, and strong enough to break a few tackles. 

Sleeper 2: Lee Evans, WR, Bills: You probably know him most for his wide open, game-winning, touchdown... dropped pass. He has a lot to prove still even though he is the first string wide receiver for the Bills. 

1 comment:

  1. Ian,
    That was Steve Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81c7a11b/Johnson-drops-potential-winning-TD) who dropped game winner against the Steelers.

    Agree that DeAngelo Williams has a lot to prove.

    On the fence on Hillis; he could certainly be a bust if you draft him 1st or 2nd round, but Coly McCoy started to blossom last season.

    Disagree on AP for MVP, McNabb is a has-been and only has Harvin to throw to; defenses will put 8 men in the box.

    ReplyDelete